Friday, August 21, 2009

Apple Pie --- BAR!!!


I came across this recipe while reading the Food & Wine magazine one day. How wonderful is that?? Instead of an apple pie, you could have an apple pie BAR (by Cathy Odson)! ;) I've tried it on last year's July 4th pot luck with our neighbors. I made a chocolate caramel sauce and brought vanilla ice-cream along, and it was a hit! :)

Tomorrow, my neighbor's son will be leaving for college in California. He's been an awesome kid to have around. Few days after we first moved in, there was a knock on my door. I opened the door, and there he was, 10 years old, about my height (5ft 2), introducing himself and handed me a business card, telling me that if we needed help with the lawn, give him a call!!! How cute is that??

Now, he's 6ft 3". He takes care of our lawn whenever we are away for a long time. And whenever I bake something, he and his brother never complain about being the guinea pigs. I've asked his mom of all the things they have tried from me,what's his favorite? She told me he liked the apple pie bars the most. So, here it is, apple pie bar with chocolate caramel sauce with vanilla ice-cream. We wish him the BEST on this exciting journey.


Click here for the Apple pie bar. Below is the Chocolate Caramel Sauce by Julie Hasson.

Chocolate Caramel Sauce

Makes 1 ½ Cup

Recipe from 125 Best Chocolate Chip recipes by Julie Hasson

¼ C Unsalted butter

¾ C packed light brown sugar

1/3 C corn syrup

¼ tsp salt

1/3 C Whipping cream (35%)

1/3 C semisweet chocolate chips

1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar, syrup and salt. Increase heat to medium-high, bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Once boiling, it will look like bubbling lava. Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.

2. Whisk in cream. Add chocolate chips, whisking until smooth. The sauce will look as if it is separating, but will smooth out after a minute or so of whisking. Sauce will thicken as it cools.

Tips:

For fondue, serve this warm with fruits, small cookies and cake cubes.

Store in covered container in the fridge for up to 1 week.

Variation:

Omit chocolate chips for caramel sauce. Use in recipes that call for caramel sauce.

3 comments:

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

I love anything in a bar shape! These look so delicious, especially with a little ice cream on the side. :)

Angeleyes said...

wow!!!! I love this one!!! I'll try making them one day so I don't have to scout the supermarkets for those cereal bars...

Wen said...

looks very yummy, wld love to try, but not sure if my kids will like it..
u sure do have very good neighbors!