Saturday, April 3, 2010

Birthdays!!!


March was another busy month. Started out with my turning another year WISER --- I hope!! ;) I was so tired from all the Chinese New Year baking, I didn't even felt like making any thing for myself this year. Luckily, my very sweet hubby went to Cheesecake Factory and got my favorite carrot cake cheesecake and 2 other slices of cakes for himself and the kids. We had a simple celebration. The next day, hubby had to fly off to Taiwan for work!! :(



A friend/neighbor, K asked if I could make a cake for her son's 7th birthday. Of course I said yes! Lucas will be in kindergarten in September, one year after that, he'll be in school full day. I 'd love to take these 2 years and gain as much experience as possible, so that by the time he's in school full day, I can possible start my business, get my kitchen license...etc. So, I jump on any opportunity I get. Back to the cake, K requested for a Mario cake. I Google and found MANY adorable Mario cakes to get an idea on the characters. Went to the Decorette Shop to look for a cake topper, but they didn't have any...so I checked online...WOW! It's expensive!! Forget it! But I really needed a Mario figurine...cos' I knew I wouldn't be able to make HIM! So I went to Toys 'R Us...thank goodness they have ONE Mario left!! Phew!

Honestly I really like the idea of having a toy figurine for the cake, instead of making ALL of them out of fondant...reason behind that is that after all the cake and icing are gone, the birthday child will still have a toy to play and remember with!! :) So, I started making the other characters. It's so fun, cos' they ARE SOOO CUTE!!! :D And I sure LOVE the edible markers!!! They are so convenient for the little eyes!!

I didn't make Mario, he was from Toys 'R Us!! :)

See the fluffy clouds?? I learn that trick from Melody of My Sweet and Saucy. If you're in the Long Beach area, check out her bakery!! I also thought about using marshmallow for filling up the inside of the cloud ---it'd be fun when the kids bite into it...but I didn't wanna go out and buy a BIG bag of it.

K told me that the kids were debating as to who gets to eat WHAT!! :)

Two days before she pick up the cake, K called and asked if I could make her daughter --- Ellie's birthday cake!!! I was nervous about it, since I only have a few days to work on that. Poor K, have both kids' birthday ONE week apart!! Try organizing 2 birthdays in a row!!! Yikes! I'm already complaining about the birthdays between Lucas, Yesmin and Nd(Lee)...which is 3 weeks part from each other's. I told her that I can't make detail fondant decorations like Mario's, but a simple and fun one should be alright. The nice thing about K is she isn't picky either. On the day she picked up Mario cake, I showed her the cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse...and I showed her 3 choices that I thought would suit Ellie best.

6 comments:

ganache-ganache said...

U know my younger girl was with me when I read your blog, the moment she saw the mushroom, she screamed "Mario" !! I had no idea what was it till I scrolled down, haha. Hope she will not ask for a fondant Mario when it's her birthday :p
nice cake, love the colour combination !

Anonymous said...

again, well done. hope 2 see u starting your bakery business soon..

Wen said...

oh my!! those are lovely cakes!

Cakebrain said...

wow! great looking cake! All those figures look like a lot of work! yikes!

Glampot said...

oh my goodness u are UBER TALENTED!!!!! seriously... open up a bakery!!! If i hv money i will invest in u. - LLL

mydragoon said...

i wish i have such colourful bday cakes...