Thursday, April 29, 2010

Daring Bakers April Challenge ---- Traditional English Pudding

I didn't think I was able to complete this challenge. But here it is...2 days late. These are some of the things I have been doing for the past 2 weeks (besides the regular routine) --- getting the house ready for my best friend's visit (the last time we met up, Yesmin was only 2 months old...so that's almost 10 years ago!!!)...I had to get the crap room, a.k.a guest room cleared!!! I was also trying to prep some food that I wanted to make for her. Then the worst of all...a call from the school 3 days before my friend's arrival. I thought Yesmin was sick again...but this was worst. She fell on the school's play structure during recess and hurt herself. We end up spending 5 hours plus in the emergency room!!! Thankfully, she didn't break any bone, there was no internal injuries, no stitches. *phew*

Back to the challenge...

The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet.

If you haven't heard of suet.... suet is raw beef or mutton fat!!! Yikkeesss....oh, and by the way, the English pudding isn't the custard base pudding we have here in U.S. It has a totally whole different texture and taste. For more detail information, go to Daring Kitchen, Esther did a fantastic job in describing.

Then one day, this is what a friend posted on her Facebook page --- she found THIS in our local Safeway store!!!


We all had a good laugh (those of us with a "gutter brain") --- at the name, of course. Some suggested it'd be great stocking stuffer!!! :P Can you imagine when the cashier announcing "Price check on Spotted Dick on register 9, please!" I had to pick one up....especially since THIS IS what we're doing for the month's challenge!! :)

So, for this challenge, I didn't open up the can and call it done, of course! :) We had the choice of making it sweet or savory; with or without a suet crust. I chose to make the Spotted Dick. I added to the given recipe, raisins, cranberries, apricot and toasted pecans. I also soaked the dried fruits with Myers rum for 10 minutes. One thing I didn't have was a regular bread crumbs. I used my left over panko whole wheat breadcrumbs instead. And instead of suet, I used butter flavored Crisco that was in my pantry. This is what mine looks like.



Not bad looking. Since it is traditionally serve with a custard sauce, I made Francois Payard's creme anglaise.

My version of Spotted Dick

I took a scoop....it's ok...took another....ok, I think that's it....I'm NOT having anymore...I wonder if it's the after taste of the Crisco?? It just didn't work....doesn't taste good at all! Kinda disappointed. Maybe it'd taste better with the REAL SUET?! I'm sure there are other Daring Bakers out there who made a delicious steamed pudding. So, don't let mine stop you....check out the other blogs here and they might be able to convince you otherwise. HOWEVER....by all means, DON'T torture yourself trying the canned Spotty!! Look at THIS!!!



Just that, should already tell you something....but I HAD to try it... So...I dress it up with my custard sauce....

Heinz's canned Spotted Dick

....and I took a bite....I spit it out right away!!! YUK!!! :P After this, I really don't know if I have the guts to try Spotted Dick again. Nonetheless, it has been an interesting experience. Thank you Esther, for the experience. :)

5 comments:

Audax said...

Who know that you call get "Spotted Dick" in a can LOL LOL. At least your final pudding looks fabulous sorry to hear that you didn't like it. OBTW mine came out just fine I don't think I try the canned version thank you and I still don't understand why non-Commonwealth countries find "spotted dick" funny nearly every U.S. blogger had "LOL" or "giggles" or similar in the posting when mentioning the recipe I think I will have to ask a couple of the DBers I know in the States.

Superb work on this challenge. Glad to hear that Yesmin is O.K..

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Esther said...

Sorry you didn't like your spotted dick and yes the name gets as many giggles here as it does there! Honestly it can taste nice and I do think making it with suet does improve the taste. The canned ones are pretty dreadful to be honest!

If you do fancy another go and can get golden syrup try a syrup sponge made with butter or a jam or marmalade one.

Ruth H. said...

Your combinatin of fruits and nuts sounds good, I am sorry that the end result wasn't as good as you had hoped. I, too, saaw the canned stuff in the store - I wasn't brave enough to buy it. Looks like I am not sorry about that! Great work on the challenge, even though it didn't taste as you wanted it to..!

tina said...

Glad that Yesmin is ok! Your finished product does look good though, haha! Although I live in UK, I have never tried it before - I just dont think I like steamed puddings, the only steamed puddings I take is the Xmas pudding!

mydragoon said...

my eyes popped out and i had a good laught when i saw heinz's spotted dick. :)

ya... i was expecting the jelly kinda thingy when i saw pudding... hmmm... now that explains why i see some 'weird' pudding at hotel buffets... :)