Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Update on Lucas' Potty Training...

Last week, Lucas gave me a good scare (probably his way of getting back at me for posting his photos! =P )...

On Wednesday late morning, he started having fever, and by night time, his fever reach almost closed to 105!!! Though he had done his #2 that afternoon, I was so afraid that because he has been holding back every 2 to 3 days before he goes, has somehow caused this fever! We called his pediatrician for consultation and gave him Motrin (Motrin somehow works better for both Yesmin and Lucas, than Tylenol). The doc also said that I have to make sure he goes for his #2 everyday, whether or not it's the cause of the fever. She advised me to give him prune or pear juice, OR get the over the counter laxative to help him go! She also mentioned that if he isn't ready, I should take a step back, which I did, offering him diaper/pull ups instead. However, he refused, cos' he wants to be a big boy! Plus, he knew he was getting reward for it! ;) (Do not under estimate kids, they are smarter than we think they are!)

The next day, he still had slight fever in the evening, but after that, he was all fine! Thank God! Anyway, I've been giving him prune/pear juice once a day since then. And he has been going once a day without having to buy him a reward! He really really wants these trains called Rosie and Rocky from the Thomas the Tank Engine, I told him that they are very expensive. But if he goes everyday like his doc told him to, I'll get them for his birthday. So, for now, he is working towards that goal! =)

I know I haven't been posting the MOST "interesting" and "pleasant" topic, but let's face it, THIS IS part of parenthood that we just can't avoid! ;) Thought it seems like I am embarrassing him, I hope it will serve some good for parents who are also facing the same
problem ~ you are not alone (or maybe I AM alone?!) =P The other thing I want to add to that is, it seems like in Asia, many kids are potty trained at a very young age. I have friends who's kids were trained since baby...over here, we are more often told to look for signs to see if they are ready! ~ I say, go with which ever advise that suits you and your child best!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right on! My nephew who is only 9.5 months is already using the potty (partially)! For me, I think I will wait until after Ian turns 2, only then I'll start bringing out the potty again. These days, he seems to be responding and understanding our instructions well. Aargh... I hate that part of training, but I gotta do I have to go, right? You'll be my mentor, ya?