I can believe I've actually posted 100 blahs on this blog! Ha! Anyway, to celebrate my 100th post, I'd like to share with you some the YUMMY food we had this past summer in Malaysia! I say SOME because, we were too busy gobbling up the others! :P
So here they are....please bring a bucket before you scroll down...especially any fellow Malaysians who are living far far away, like us,...don't drool all over your pc! ;) And for those who have not been to Malaysia, I hope someday you'll have the opportunity to visit this lovely
country and try some of the
best and unique cuisine.

Jalan Imbi's "Chu Yok Yun Fun" - flat rice noodle toss in dark soy sauce (with some special ingredient, that I can't figure out) topped with ground pork and serve with a side of soup and pork meat balls.

Jalan Imbi's famous Egg Tarts. You have to get there early, cos' they close at 2pm. And each tray that comes out from the hot oven, disappears quickly!
My friend, Esther's Woo Tau Kou (steamed Taro cake)

Murtabak
Unfortunately this wasn't as good as the ones I used to eat during buka puasa month in front of Giant Supermarket in Kelana Jaya.

crabby~ have forgotten what my mom cooked in it

My favorite Chiew Chow style steam angle fish...YUM!
I don't know what's the name of this dish. But according to my mom, she thinks that, back in the days, people didn't wanna put any food (or any part of anything edible) to waste. So someone came up with this idea of using the dried mushroom (often used in Chinese cooking) stems - which often get toss away, to cook this dish. The stems are soak for hours to soften, then it's stir fry with diced carrots, green beans, salted radish, taosted peanuts and dried shrimp. Also one of my favorite dish.

Nasi Ulam, a Nyonya dish, which is serve with raw vegetables over rice, kinda like a "salad with rice". It is SOOOO good...I might have to improvise this with some other greens that I otherwise cannot get it here in US.

This is
Dragon Fruit, also called
Pitaya. They come in red and yellow skinned, white and red flesh. The red flesh Dragon fruit is ESPECIALLY sweet. The fruit is VERY juicy. It has now become one of my favorite fruits. Unfortunately, we can't get it here. So while we were back home, we ate it (and golden Kiwi from NZ) after EVERY meal.

See the red flesh in there, the black dots are the seeds, which are edible - just like kiwi. If you ever see one in your travels, DO try it!

My favorite Malaysian dessert -
cendol - usually consist of shaved ice, with strands of noodle like thingy that we often tell the kids that they are worms or caterpillars ( made out of green pea flour flavored with
pandan essence), sweet corn, red beans and top with
gula melaka syrup, and coconut milk ~ YUM!

Bamboo razor clams

Baked crab ~ this guy was HUGE - not the guy holding the crab, I'm talking about THE CRAB! ;)

Chow Kueh Kak or Char Chai Tau Kueh (Radish/daikon). Check
here for a recipe.

This is the economical fried meehoon mee. We eat this for breakfast, and as afternoon snack. It contains only the noodles and bean sprout, nothing else. YET, it is so delicious! *sigh.... looking at all these food now, makes me homesick*

Seafood (and beef) tom yam

Nasi paprik - this is a malay dish with a Thai influence. One of the dishes I have come to love when my husband, then my boyfriend, first introduce it to me. I have been trying to make it at home. So someday when I succeed, I'll definitely share it here.

Mango sticky rice

Thai style squid salad - very spicy, but very tasty!
And now, I AM HUNGRY!!!! arrgghh! ;P
3 comments:
wah... congrats on post #100!
yummy... i'm in malaysia and i'm drooling... i love the desserts...
First of all WOW 100th post! Congratulations!!
And I don't even know where to begin with all those great pictures of food!
Everything looks interestingly delicious and I would love to try them all--I love trying new foods!
The fried meehoon mee looks especially good and the fried bbq pork buns--they have a steamed version of those I used to eat when I lived in Hawaii.
Great post!! (I'm totally drooling now.)
Don't say you... I'm hungry too after looking at those pics!!!!
Post a Comment