If you had stopped by my September DB challenge, you will understand that I was facing some problems with my oven temperature. So, yesterday I went and pick up a oven thermometer in the store. I was making granola bars, adapted from Donna Hay's Kids' Magazine.
The recipe calls for 320F preheated oven. I preheated to 325F. However, I forgot to stick the thermometer in the oven, so half way through, I place it in. The needle moved slowly. I waited for a while to check on it. and by the time the timer for the bars went off, which was a good 20-30 minutes later, the needle on the thermometer was at 250F!!! I couldn't believe that the temperature was SO off! I thought it was maybe off by 10-20 degrees! No wonder I had so much problem with my banana chocolate bread and my puff pastry challenge! Hmmm...I am hoping that this would lead to a new oven/stove some time soon?! :) Don't think my husband would be please with the news! :P
Anyway, the granola bar still turned out fine. I really like the homemade ones. For one, it doesn't have corn syrup in it. Secondly, I like my granola bars like how I like my fried rice, loaded with ingredients, in this case - dried fruits (I know for sure some of them do not have corn syrup in. I wanted to have dried cherries, but they contained cs, so I went for dried cranberries). They aren't too sweet at all. Here's the recipe:
Homemade Fruity Granola Bars
4-1/2 C rolled oats (I half regular rolled oats and red oats)
3/4 C unbleached all purpose flour, sifted
3 Tbs. brown sugar (loosely packed)
2 1/2 C dried fruits, chopped into 1/4" pieces (I used dried mangoes, apricots, apples and cranberries)
1 C slivered or sliced almond, optional (or any nuts of your choice)
1/3 C wheat germ
1/2 C sunflower seeds, optional
2/3 C combination of honey and maple syrup (I suggest that you lightly spray your cup with cooking oil for easy pouring)
2/3 C canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease and line a 17"x12" rimmed baking sheet (or a 12"x 8" pan) with parchment paper. ( The baking sheet will give you a flatter bar, while the 12"x 8" will give you a thicker bar)
- Place all of the dry ingredient in a big bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Place the honey and maple syrup in small saucepan over medium heat, and cook until it is very runny, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the canola oil. Carefully pour it into the dry oats mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spoon onto the baking sheet/pan. Use the back of your spoon the press it down and flatten with the back of your spoon. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden in color. Cool on a rack, and cut into your desire size.
1 comment:
Oh wow, I can't believe how far off your oven was--no wonder you were having so much trouble with it. I'm glad you were able to figure out what was wrong.
This granola recipe looks amazing! :)
Post a Comment