Sunday, December 6, 2009

Newsletter Sign Up --- Ebelskivers


What happens after I sign up to receive news and deals from Williams Sonoma?? I get an e-mail saying they're having a one day deal - 50% off on the Ebelskiver (pronounced as "able-skeevers") pan (they are filled pancakes originally from Denmark) !!!! Aaaahhhhhhh!!!! What am I gonna do??? I have previously seen it on their catalog, and like always, was eying on it! But I figured we have spend so much these past few months, that I should forget about it. But, but, but.... it's 50% off!!! How the hell am I supposed to stick to my logical decision??

I told myself, I'd make Williams Sonoma my last stop, and have all the time to think if I SHOULD really get it...plus, they have mentioned that quantity is limited, so if by the time I get there, and they're out, it means I'm not meant to have it...if the pan is still available, then I can think about it.

Ebelskivers filled with Gingerbread butter

So, after doing some Christmas shopping for the kids and the hubby...I went to my last stop. The store was crowded with Christmas shoppers~ and I thought I'd be the only crazy one there! :P I looked at it, observe the other shoppers ...some of them were grabbing like 2-3 pans!!! Ahhhhh!!!! Even then, I was still pretty sure that I could stick to saving money. Then guess what?! Of course! Of course they have this lady standing there, demonstrating making these delicious Ebelskiver, and handing out samples! Now, I have NEVER had a Ebelskiver in my life...I can't even pronounce that name! Why, why oh why do they have to do this to me??? I've been sooo good, trying my best not to buy stuff for myself, cos' I do that too often, and with all the kids birthdays the past months and Christmas around the corner...so why, oh why now???

The moment I pop that sample into my mouth with my right hand, I was grabbing the pan by the counter with my left hand. However after that, I still hung around..thinking twice...looking at the recipe book Ebelskivers: Filled pancakes and other mouthwatering miniatures by Kevin Crafts...I know I probably can Google the recipe online...but, this book was filled with a whole bunch of recipes from simple to sweet to savory...and although Williams Sonoma sold the mix too...I'm all about making things from scratch, plus I LOVE collecting cookbooks.... I negotiated with myself that these will be my Christmas presents. There, I have a great excuse now ;) Later when I told Yesmin that I've already gotten my own Christmas present and that I'm gonna use the pan before Christmas, then we'll wrap it up on Christmas and put it under the tree ---- she thought I was silly! :D LOL.


Basic Ebelskiver Batter by Kevin Crafts
Makes about 21 filled pancakes

1 C All purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs, separated
1C whole milk (I used fat free milk)
2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (I didn't used this, cos' I missed the step of adding it to the batter)

Whisk together the dry ingredient in a large bowl. In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks then whisk in the milk and melted butter. Add the yolk mixture to the flour mixture and, using a wooden spoon, stir until well blended. The batter will be lumpy.

In a clean bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites till stiff peak, but not dry. Gently fold one third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the rest just until no white steaks remain. Use the batter right away.

Note: I have totally missed the step on combining the melted butter to the milk/yolk mixture. I thought it was for brushing the pan! It still turned out GREAT! By the way, I didn't get the Ebelskivers turning tool. You could just use 2 wooden skewers, I used toothpicks... you have to cook your filled pancakes on medium flame to prevent from burning, so it wasn't that hot to handle :)

5 comments:

KatieB said...

Yum! Send some of those our way!

Unknown said...

These look so good, make sure you bring the pan on your next trip back.

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

Jenny, you make me want to go shopping for myself!! I've had to refrain from doing it so far. Your ebelskivers look so YUMMY!! I NEED to get a pan now--I will keep my eyes open for any sales!! And the cookbook sounds great too! :)

tina said...

Merry Christmas n a very Happy New Year to u n your familt

Angeleyes said...

Are these the same as the 'kaya balls' technology we have over here???