It's been a crazy and hectic month! Time seems to fly at HIGH SPEED when it comes to year end, doesn't it? Well, I'm once again late for posting my Christmas wishes to all of you AND for my Daring Bakers challenge (don't think THIS is ever gonna change! :P) Anyhow, I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Holiday!! =)
This year, I didn't feel as excited as I usually did....I think mainly because Nd (Lee) had to travel to Taiwan for work for the first 2 weeks of December. However, I have also notice that usually by the time we get to Christmas, I am already so exhausted with the kids' and Nd's birthdays, Thanksgiving and all the school parties. However, I am glad that, at least this time I wasn't late in the holiday baking. I managed to deliver all the treats to friends and neighbors the weekend before Christmas! Woohooo!!
Before I forget...
The December 2009 Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to you by Anna of Very Small Anna and Y of Lemonpi. They chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ everywhere to bake and assemble a gingerbread house from scratch. They chose recipes from Good Housekeeping and from The Great Scandinavian Baking Book as the challenge recipes.
So, Gingerbread House made from scratch was the challenge, and boy, was THAT a TRUE challenge for me. We have only made gingerbread house ONCE, and from A KIT. At first, I was all excited, thinking of all the possibilities to decorate the gingerbread house, and that I would make a house for each of the kids, so they can decorate their own, and not mess with MINE! :P I started off by reserving gingerbread house books from the library. It was a little overwhelming ~ what design should I choose? Should I copy from one of the books, or should I make one of my own?? Then came the busy schedule that keeps building up, while I kept on pushing off the challenge. There was a week where we were forecast to have snow (we don't get a lot of snow fall in Portland, Oregon, some years, we don't even get ANY snow), and after last year's Arctic Blast, I was worried we were gonna get snowed-in and nothing to do. So I picked up all the candies --- but which candies to buy? How much do I need? I end up spending twenty something dollars JUST on candies itself, and we didn't even have ANY snow!!! Argghhh!
In short, I end up making the dough 3 days before Christmas ( I used Y's recipe)....thinking I could maybe have it done by Christmas. NOPE ~ THAT was just a thought! I only started rolling and cutting them out on Christmas night. I knew I was late, so I just picked a classic template from Gingerbread Houses: Baking & Building Memories by Nonnie Cargas.
I have read a lot of comments in the DB forum that the dough seems very dry. Mine seems ok, at least that's what I thought...until I started rolling them out. It cracks and tears like crazy! I added water, try to pinch them back together. Sometimes that help, but still it wasn't easy to work with.
Anyway, I was ready to get it done...I cut out the template, planed on having one house for myself and one house for the 2 monkeys to share. As I was putting up the walls of my house, I realized I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE ROOF!!!! %$#*&#@!!!!! Talk about Challenge!! ~ No problem, no problem, I CAN be Bob Villa .I can fix THAT ~ the kids just have to sacrifice THEIR walls! ;P I trimmed the sides of my walls, and two of them cracked - no problem, just a little royal icing will fix it, and using the kiddos side walls, with 2 windows on each wall, WHICH could be the skylight for my gingerbread house! ;) Pretty proud of myself, I have to say.
However, there's still A problem. The walls weren't tall enough to fully cover the whole roof, so I had to patch the roofs with licorice. BUT before that, my other problem was...I had left the empty jar that I had used to support the walls while the royal icing dries, INSIDE the gingerbread house...and the roofs are already on!!! D-U-H!!!! So, I removed the roofs, take out the JAR, replace the roof, then patched the roof! Hmmm.... I wonder why I don't care about making gingerbread houses...especially from scratch??!!
Anyway, that was really THE challenging parts of building a gingerbread house from scratch. The rest was the fun part, and was up to your imagination :)
Despite all the interesting challenges I had, I was glad to have participated. Visit the Daring Kitchen for the recipes and other details in this challenge. And don't forget to stop by HERE to see how other Daring Bakers gingerbread turned out! You might get inspired and make one too! :)
Oh, by the way, there's always the question of to eat or not to eat the gingerbread house. And Nonnie Cargas has included in her book this poem for eating your gingerbread house, which I think is so funny and appropriate...
P/S Since I have LOTS of left over candies, I MIGHT, try another recipe and make up for the kids.
Oh, by the way, there's always the question of to eat or not to eat the gingerbread house. And Nonnie Cargas has included in her book this poem for eating your gingerbread house, which I think is so funny and appropriate...
New Year's Poem for Eating Your Gingerbread House
by Nonnie Cargas
Eating this house so fair and sweet
Brings insight to the year you'll meet
For every bite has a tale to tell,
So eat for luck and wish you well.
If the front door is your choice to eat,
Far-flung visitors soon you'll greet.
But if on the pathway you choose to dine,
A trip afar will soon be thine.
Consume the roof if you want security,
For love and shelter will be a surety.
Tho' if it's adventure to which you aspire,
Devour the windows to achieve your desire.
From the warmth of the chimney true love will come;
A taste of it and a pair you'll become.
Or if, by chance, you're already a pair,
Eating the chimney will recharge the air.
Trees and buses bring money your way,
While lawn decorations bring laughter and play.
Fences bring projects at which you'll succeed,
And people bring kindness and help when there's need.
But indulge in some pieces that aren't mentioned here,
You'll have special surprises throughout the New Year!
Thanks Anna and Y for the challenge and thanks Nonnie Cargas for the great book and poem! :)by Nonnie Cargas
Eating this house so fair and sweet
Brings insight to the year you'll meet
For every bite has a tale to tell,
So eat for luck and wish you well.
If the front door is your choice to eat,
Far-flung visitors soon you'll greet.
But if on the pathway you choose to dine,
A trip afar will soon be thine.
Consume the roof if you want security,
For love and shelter will be a surety.
Tho' if it's adventure to which you aspire,
Devour the windows to achieve your desire.
From the warmth of the chimney true love will come;
A taste of it and a pair you'll become.
Or if, by chance, you're already a pair,
Eating the chimney will recharge the air.
Trees and buses bring money your way,
While lawn decorations bring laughter and play.
Fences bring projects at which you'll succeed,
And people bring kindness and help when there's need.
But indulge in some pieces that aren't mentioned here,
You'll have special surprises throughout the New Year!
P/S Since I have LOTS of left over candies, I MIGHT, try another recipe and make up for the kids.
23 comments:
Very detailed gingerbread house! The skylight looks great!
Jenny, I LOVE your skylights!! :) Your house is so cute and you were so inventive and quick on your feet (if I'd left the jar in, it might have stayed in there) and I especially love the shutters on your windows. You did such a great job!! I hope your Christmas was a good one--and that you have a Happy New Year too! :)
So nice, how to eat?? BTW, did you all finished it?
Enjoy reading your blogs..very entertaining, hahaa =)
Happy new year to all at home!
Amazing job! I had the same issue with the dough-it was so cracked I thought "there's no way this will work". I love the red and white theme of decorating too! :D
Merry Christmas to you! Your 2 monkeys look so cute ;) And your house is fab. I like the colour scheme. Oh and pst, guess what .. the first batch of gingerbread I baked? I forgot one wall too!
I love all of your details! The skylights, the windows, shutters, everything! Beautiful job on this challenge =D.
Cute children and pretty house!
Best wishes for 2010!
Cheers,
Rosa
Super cool house, I love the door!
What a warm family photo! And such nice gingerbread house too! :)
Merry Christmas and Happy 2010 to you and your family Jenny!
What a great house, I love all the red accents, especially the roof!
Happy Holidays!
I love all of your details! and especially love the shutters on your windows! beautiful job on this challenge! Happy New Year!
Congrats on surviving your personal chalenges with this one lol. And love the poem. I caved in...yesterday I started with the trees, then the door, then chimney. So money, love and many guests for me! Happy 2010!
Wow, I'm impressed how you turned your challenges into opportunities and made such an adorable house. Hope you and your family had a very happy holiday season. Here's to 2010 and more fun DB challenges!
You did a wonderful job on your house - so cute! Great idea to make skylights.
Very cute house! Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year!
Way to stick with it. Your house looks fantastic! I love the red roof and shutters.
Jenny, I was also initally not excited for tuis challenge because I didn't think there was any way I could pull it off. It's always the ones I think the worst about that end up being a success..weird. That said, your gB house is so quaint, colorful and perfect! Love the photos of the kidlets too..looks like a great holiday was had! Wishing you and your beautiful family a Happy New Year!
Beautiful house! Kudos to you on persevering even through the challenges...that is rather funny that the jelly jar inadvertently got left inside. ;-p
I too had problems with drying and cracking while I was rolling out the dough. Maybe the weather is to blame??
Beautiful gingerbread house with many wonderful details.......
Happy new year!
Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris
How does it taste? I always wonder about it.
Haha, despite the problems you had, your house still turned out great! Well done!
Lovely house, especially love the skylights!
Happy New Year!
I love the house!! Ur so so so talented!
Post a Comment