Fried rice is my favorite dish to cook, when I don't know what to cook and/or when I am lazy. 2 days ago, I had one of those lazy days. I called Nd (Lee) at work with my usual whining tone
Nd (Lee) : Why don't u go order pizza?
Me: I don't feel like having pizza.
Nd(Lee): I'm very busy here. Just don't cook friend rice.
Me: Great idea. (Ding, ding, ding, ding - light bulb with smiley face on)
Nd(Lee) : U know I don't like fried rice!
Me: So, u wanna spend more money???
Nd (Lee) : s-i-l-e-n-c-e .... Just do whatever you like lah!
See, when it comes to fried rice, our family is split to half! Both dragons (Nd and Yesmin are both born in the year of dragon) do not like it. But it's Lucas' and my favorite! I love eating the fried rice I cook, 'cos I add a lot of ingredients, unlike those u buy outside, where they probably use one egg for 3 cups of rice, and the meat used are chopped to so tiny that it'd just get stuck between my teeth without even having to bite 'em! I used to put so much stuff in it that Nd complains that it looks like fried rice without rice! :P I also like to eat it with sliced red chili or cayenne pepper, in soy sauce. As for Lucas, he just likes to eat rice --- flavored/seasoned rice, and with the Sriracha hot chili sauce, or my mom's sambal belacan! Yesmin? Don't even mention fried rice to her....she's our typical American born Malaysian Chinese girl...pasta, cheese, pizza, meaty stuff!!! She only likes fried rice if we have my mom's homemade fried shallots. Unfortunately, we ran out of that long time ago, and we've been spoiled by my mom's home made fried shallots that we no longer like the store bought ones! :P
In the end, I compromised with Yesmin (who cares about what Nd (Lee) wants to eat right?? :P) that we will order pizza for dinner the next day. As for Nd (Lee)...he was glad that I included the Chinese sausage and used green beans instead of green peas....and conveniently, he didn't need to bring lunch to work the next day, b'cos there was gonna be some thing going on at work, and lunch will be provided --- all the better for me and Lucas! :P
Who knew you can blog so much about fried rice?! :)
6 comments:
I or we love fried rice too! When I have no idea what to cook I will have fried rice (you can check in my recipes blog for some variations) and like you I love to put loads of ingredients!
Jenny, next time you are making your husbands favorite dish could you let me know!!! I will come over and eat his dinner. I love fried rice!!!
Oh, my dear Diana the Smartie Pants....my "husbands"??? (read ur post there!:P )....Better not let Lee read this...or he might think I have "other" husbands!!! lol ;P Ya, maybe we should all get to gather for a pot luck lunch! How's that??
I don't think you have more than 1 husband (who would be crazy enough for that???) I was saying Lee's favorite dish... your husbands favorite dish. How else do I type it??? Isn't it scary that I get to correct papers at school??? Hey, if your in the market for an extra husband I'll give you mine!!!! ;)
I'm born in the year of the dragon too, but I LOVE fried rice, and like you, the ones with lots and lots of ingredients and extra eggs. But maybe because I'm a 'fake' dragon: born in the calender year for snake but before CNY.:p And WOW, Lucas can eat chilli and belacan at his age?? I'm very impressed! You've taught him well to be a Malaysian American! :)
That's also my lazy days menu. I think I'm going to cook belachan fried rice this week.. I'm still feeling lazy after 2 weeks! Thanks for posting... hehehee!
Post a Comment