Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Play-Doh!

When Yesmin was younger, I bought her a "Play-Doh" table, thinking it'd help "contain" the mess. Let me tell you, IT DID NOT (I recently donated THAT table!). I seldom encourage her to play with Play-Doh after that. Thinking back, I had fun playing with "Plastercine" when I was a child...and I believe my mom didn't like us playing with it too, because they are a hassle when come time to clean up! :P

When it was Lucas' turn, I gave up thinking playing with Play-Doh is a mess. I'm glad I did. I mean, why not? They are encourage to use their imaginations, and they are able to play for a long time, without whining "I have nothing to do" or " I have nothing to play with"!!! The kids have so much fun playing with it! Plus, we are lucky to inherit some molds and cutters from our neighbor, so we're able to "stretch" the time EVEN longer!

This morning, we didn't have anything to do. Lucas hasn't been playing with Play-Doh for a while now...so, he brought it out to play. He sat there for 2 hours or so ( plus the occasional walking to me asking me to get the Play-Doh out of the mold), just shaping, and making "noodles" and "cookies" for Tai Long's birthday (the villain in Kong-Fu Panda ~ don't ask me why Tai Long and not any of the heroes...he has a thing for villains most of the time! Wired )! When he was done, all I had to do was take out my vacuum cleaner (Thank God for the person who invented vacuum cleaners!) and suck up all the bits and pieces....ALL CLEAN! =) By the way, Yesmin has been "upgraded" to using clay instead!


I still can't believe he played with it for SO LONG!

The green and pink noodles

"Noodles"

The "train" that he MUST make every time he plays with Play-Doh

4 comments:

Angeleyes said...

Yeah yeah... very messy coz just look at myself doing those fondant stuff I know! Can't let my boy play now coz he is SUPER messy! :P

Your Lucas verfy good... can spend such long time... mine will probably start eating if I'm not looking!

Jenny Tan said...

Let him play when u feel better lah...When u have the time to sit down and teach him the rules and play with him. It might take a couple of times before he'll get it down.
I was surprised too that he was at the table for 2hrs+. Maybe because he hasn't played it for almost a month now. But usually he would at least sit there for a good 30-45 minutes, or until something else distracts him... He has an older sister, I think partly bcos of that, he does learns faster too.

Anonymous said...

2 hrs! Wow! But he's already 4 anyway. The longest Ian could sit with a playdoh was 25 mins. And he enjoyed pounding the dough with the tools that come in the bag. Once a while, he'll pinch a small bit and tries to eat it! :-p

Smartie Pants said...

Michael loved Play Doh. I heard so many people say they wouldn't let their kids play with it because of the mess. I would let the crumbs dry for a couple hours and then sweep/vacuum it up. NO PROBLEM!!!
We are so concerned about the little things that we forget the big picture of letting our kids be just that "KIDS"
I wish he still wanted to play with it now instead of wanting to watch TV. Play Doh better for the mind than TV.
By the way would you like some of our tools for Play Doh that Michael doesn't use anymore???