Sunday, June 7, 2009

Variations from the Tang Zhong Bread Recipe


I haven't been baking bread since January. I have since then, managed to return the Cuisinart bread machine my husband got for me as Christmas gift, and bought a Zojirushi bread machine from Kitchen Kaboodle (they have the cheapest price for a Zojirushi bread machine, I think). After making less than 10 loafs of bread with the Cuisinart, it made some funny sound one day, when I tried to stop the cycle half way. Also, I didn't like it because with just one paddle, part of the ingredient didn't got mixed in at all!

So, the other day, I had a sudden urge, partly due to the sudden "idea" to add on to the 65 degree Celsius bread by Florence, I decided to bake some bread again. I have only baked with my Zojirushi machine twice after I got it! :P It's been sitting upstairs in the study/guests room for A WHILE! (yup, as much as I like A Zojirushi bread maker, I don't have the space to store it in my kitchen!!!) :P

This time, I made a red bean paste loaf. The original plan was to make 'em into buns, like the BBQ pork steam buns (char siew pau). However, I was afraid the dough is too soft and would flatten like my ham and cheese version, so I tried out with just 3 pieces. The rest of the dough, I rolled 'em up like Swiss rolls and baked in a loft pan. To my surprise, the buns did not collapsed. I wonder WHY?! Was it because it was a very DRY day? Was it because I had forgotten that I should let it rise once more after shaping before brushing the egg wash on?? No idea...but I was happy. The loft turn out great too! I have used the canned red bean paste, hence, it's a bit too sweet for us. Maybe someday, I feel like I have the energy, then I'll try to make my own paste! :P


The next day, I asked Yesmin what other flavor should I try? First thing that came out of her mouth was cheese!!! And my light bulb lit up...I told her, I'll add some bacon and chives!!! Ooohhh...bacon!!! We all love our bacon! :P So, that's what we had the next morning. I was surprise that I didn't cut a slice to taste it after it came out from the oven that night. Yeahhh!!! ;)
By the way, I LOVE my Zojirushi bread maker!! Not only the double blade was awesome, it also have 3 memory settings for personalizing the whole process to your liking! :)

4 comments:

Teanna DiMicco said...

That bread maker sounds amazing! And it definitely puts out an amazing product! Gorgeous bread!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous bread..love the dark and light contrast of the red bean paste in it (LOVE red bean paste or anything adzuki bean). I have a Breadman Plus, which I love, and need to use soon :)

Daddy said...

Although I'm not a bread person, those bread do look delicious to me ..haha

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

now I know what my next bread machine I should get if my currant one go kaput! nice bread wt Anpan filling!!