Monday, April 27, 2009

More Cheesecake -- Japanese Cheesecake

When the April DB challenge was announced, I was excited, but at the same time, I knew I wasn't exactly a cheesecake person. The only cheesecake I like is Cheesecake Factory's Craig's Crazy Ccarrot Cake-Cheesecake (almost half of it is carrot cake), and a mascarpone cheesecake that I get occasionally from Safeway, which, is too sweet for my taste, but I get it anyways, for a quick fix! :P To me, cheesecake or the famous New York style cheesecakes are too rich, too dense, too heavy. After a few bites, I often feel like gagging...not because it doesn't taste good, but just the feeling in my mouth, makes me feel that way. So, I wanted to look for something lighter --- a mascarpone cheesecake (for the challenge) and a Japanese style cheesecake. I set my sail up (my search engine- google), in search for the yummy and light cheesecake. I came across a couple of blogs for Japanese cheesecake, and finally settle on dock with Cotton Soft Japanses Cheesecake submitted by Irene Oon in Diana's Dessert.

Japanese cheesecake is very much like a souffle or a chiffon cake. It doesn't call for a huge amount of cream cheese, in fact, only one part of it - just enough for a light taste. The main component here is the eggs being separated, and the whites are whip till medium-soft peak and gently folded in to the rest of the batter. This creates the light and fluffy, soft souffle like texture. It is the PERFECT type of "cheesecake" for me.

I was nervous though, knowing that I could easily deflate the egg whites! And I believe that it is true, when you feel nervous before you even begin the process, this is the result you'd get! :P


Eeekkkk!!!! My deflated 1st attempt on the Japaneses cheesecake!

I knew this was gonna happened even before I set it into the oven....as I could already see how "liquidy" instead of fluffy, when I pour the batter into the pan! :P But I was determine to get it right. So, the next day, I talked myself into not allowing the egg whites to "intimidate" me! ;) And...ta-da!!


Finally! They rise (this time, I made them in a 7" spring form and a 6" regular cake pan) and DID NOT collapse! Wooohooo!!! ;) I was so happy, I did a little dance in the kitchen! - too bad no photo nor video clips! Ha. It taste really yummy! So soft, not a whole lot of cheesy taste, and SOOO MUCH lighter, that my husband had some for breakfast! :P

The dense, deflated Japanese cheesecake (R) and the light and fluffy, cotton soft Japanese cheesecake (L)

However, I do have to say that the deflated one was pretty good too! It taste more like a Southeast Asian form of "kuih"!! So, we ate up the deflated one, and gave away some of the good looking one to some friends. I mean, we had 3 cheesecakes (one for the DB challenge, one deflated Japanese cheesecake and one fluffy soft Japanese cheesecake) within 6 days! How can I NOT share 'em??? So, if you don't like cheesecake because of its tangy taste, or its dense and heavy texture, give the Japanese style cheesecake a try...you might be surprise! :)

This was taken on a gloomy day...I think I should have turn the whole plate the other way so it's not so dark on the blackberries! :P

Here's the recipe submitted by Irene Oon to Diana's Dessert.

Cotton Soft Japanses Cheesecake
Servings: 12

Comments:
This cheesecake really lives up to it's name. It is very light and soft. My family and friends like it and I hope you do too.

140g/5 oz. fine granulated sugar (I reduced it to 4oz.)
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
50g/2 oz. butter
250g/9 oz. cream cheese
100 ml/3 fluid oz. fresh milk
1 tbsp. lemon juice (I added lemon zests)
60g/2 oz. cake flour /superfine flour
20g/1 oz. cornflour (cornstarch)
1/4 tsp. salt

Instructions:
1. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over a double boiler. Cool the mixture. Fold in the flour, the cornflour, egg yolks, lemon juice and mix well.

2. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peaks form. (I whisked till medium - soft peaks for my 2nd attempt)

3. Add the cheese mixture to the egg white mixture and mix well. Pour into a 8-inch round cake pan (Lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with greaseproof baking paper or parchment paper). (In my 1st attempt, I used a 9" spring form pan, on the 2nd attempt, I used a 7" spring form & a 6" regular round cake pan)

4. Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 1 hours 10 minutes or until set and golden brown at 160 degrees C (325 degrees F).

Makes 1 (8-inch) cheesecake, 12 servings.

12 comments:

Cakebrain said...

Your Japanese cheesecake looks great! It looks as if you've had a lot of cheesecake to eat over the last few days! yum!

ice tea: sugar high said...

oh oh oh.. my favourite cheesecake!! thanks for sharing! I just have to made this now. gosh, i'm so excited i can kiss you =p

Simones Kitchen said...

I love how your japanese cheesecake looks indeed very fluffy and light. I might have to try that for next time as I do find cheesecake in general very heavy!

ganache-ganache said...

Wow, you did it, congrats !!
It took me a while before I got the perfect(to me)cotton cheesecake ! When I was trying out & adjusting recipes, hubby & the girls were my guinea pigs ! But they still like cotton cheesecake, we're never fans of rich cheesecake !

Anonymous said...

I am going to try... this recipe looks easier, only 2 type of mixtures. The one i made b4 requires 4, 5 steps.

paulawy said...

I like the sound of the cottony-soft fluffy cheesecake! I'll have to try this recipe!

Audax said...

I love both styles of cheesecake you did and I have bookmarked this recipe to do later in the month the texture looks so nice and light. Congrats on the fab effort you put into the DBers challenge. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. Yours Audax from Australia

adriantai said...

wah, eat so much and never send some over... :P

hmmm... make sure play on Wii fit more often to burn off the calories... hahaha...

adriantai said...

but the cake looks really nice.

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! I used to love getting the Japanese cheesecake when I lived there and you're right, it's not really like a regular one which is very rich so more can be eaten! :)

Zoe Francois said...

Very cool to see this. I must try it! thank you for showing me something truly new!

Jenny Tan said...

Hi all, thanks for stopping by with all the kind comments. Yes, this is very different compared to the other cheesecake. Because it is so light and fluffy, I have to warn anyone who intend to try this... U might not stop eating, so BEWARE!!! ;P