Whenever we go back to Malaysia, or when our parents come over for visit, we usually have a list of "neccesity" usually that includes her home made curry paste, sambal belacan, and fried shallots, and usually requested by Yesmin, Lucas and I, as ND(Lee) is "shy" to request for anything, as he's "suppose" to play the "role" of the "easy-going-will-eat-anything" husband.
Ok, so I admit...this picture doesn't look as appetizing as it should...especially if you're not from Southeast Asia. This is my mom's Sambal Belacan.

And I tell you --- it is THE BEST (not that I am bias or what, how can that be right?! :P) It is also Lucas' favorite "spicy sauce" (he calls it "poh poh's (grandma's) spicy sauce") It is made with grinding fresh cayanne pepper, with
belacan (Shrimp paste. She only buys it from certain store in
Penang) and some lime juice. I've tried making it, but of course it never turn out the same.
So, each time they visit us, or we go back for vacation, she'd make LOTS of them and pack them in small packets, freeze them, so that I can bring them back to U.S. However, our last trip home in Sept '07, she was so busy preparing variety of curry paste, fried shallots (the following picture), and other stuff (she tries to prepare them towards the end of our trip, so that they all stay fresh), she forgot the MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL ~ SAMBAL BELACAN!!! Even I didn't relized it until we go back here and unpacked! :P
Anyway, it's been a little more than a year since we got to enjoy it. End of last year, a family friend in Seattle went back to
Malaysia, and stayed at my parents'. He offered to bring back stuff for us - thank you Uncle Liew! (and Mark for bring to the ski trip ;)) This time, my mom made sure she made A LOT! :P Today, I made stir fry
Udon and I made sure I remembered to bring this GOLD out to savor with the udon!! ~ Y-U-M-M-Y!!! =)
Next on our list of food that we request from my mom, is her fried shallots!

After coming over to US, I usually buy the store bought ones from the Asian grocery stores. Then knowing how much I like 'em, my mom started making them for me to bring back here, and when I run out of it, I'd go back to the store bought... However, few years back, after we ran out of her fried shallots (it's Yesmin's favorite from the list (Nd/Lee's least favorite)...she could careless about any spicy food) and started with store bought ones...yuks, no way I'm gonna used those stuff again!!! Gosh I AM SO DARN SPOILED!!! *tsk, tsk, tsk* From then on, I'd rather NOT eat if I don't have my mom's fried shallot! ;P We put it on our udon, fried rice and whatever else that goes with it! ;P So....
Thank you mommy!!! :)
5 comments:
it looks VERY appetizing to me as i love spicy food!
and u say my posts make u hungry... :P
I am a big fancee of sambal belacan too! I'm too lazy to make myself since I can get ready made easily here... next time when you're here I get you some really 'pedas' one. Sure send you to the sky with just a bit!
aahhh... I miss home reading this..
I used your sambal belachan (all of it) to cook kangkung recently.
Post a Comment